Thursday, January 2, 2014

A few of my favourite things



That could be the name of my café one day... My favourite things. Or Ann's favourite things. Do you know the famous Sound of Music film with Julie Andrews? Well, that's one of my favourite things. It's beautiful and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Not many films do that. In the movie, one stormy, scary night, all seven children come running into their nanny's bed, terrified. And she starts singing These are a few of my favourite things:

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad
 

There are tough times in life. Storms come and go. A woman I know wrote a blog post about her favourite things and how thinking about these things lifted her mood and helped her focus on the good things. What a great idea! I've been meaning to do it ever since I read her post. So here goes, in no particular order, things that will make me smile when I feel like crying or screaming:
 
- time spent with my husband
- my children's soft sweet wet kisses
 
 
- flowers in general, but sunflowers in particular
 
 
- a good cappuccino
- gorgeous food
- baking
 
 
- putting a smile on people's faces
- bed and breakfasts
- sea shells
- the feel of sand under my feet
- walking on the edge of the sea
- the feel of the sun on my face
- sunsets

 
- the sea breeze on my face


- clean sheets
- pretty tea cups
- cheese, the smellier the better
- fluffy towels


- boxes, boxes, boxes
- vintage decorations
- laughing until I cry
- sleeping
- gorgeous underwear
- sitting by the fire in winter and listening to the crackling of the wood
- hot chocolates
- lovely folders
- letting dark chocolate slowly melt under my tongue
- a tidy home
- the smell of fresh bread
- time to read a chick flick novel

 
... and the list goes on and on!

What are your favourite things?? I'd love to find out, even if I don't know you. That's what makes blogging fun!
 
Now it has dawned on me that I've been applying a similar principle in my marriage. "My favourite things" also applies to love. If you focus on your partner's good points rather than his faults, your love will grow and not wane or become bitter. After 8 years of marriage I have found truth and strength in that knowledge.

Finding love is a miracle. Keeping love alive over the years and into old age, now that's a feat I intend to see in my life. I encourage you to make a list of everything you like or love about your partner, and to keep it handy for those difficult moments in your relationship. Then go back to them and focus on them. Praise your partner and encourage him. I can promise you will see the difference.

Kia kaha! Be strong!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment