Monday, February 1, 2016

Bestest Chocolate and Banana Cake - Processed Sugar Free!



So who wants a moist, decadent, delicious chocolate cake? And, it's processed sugar free!

A few months ago, my sister sent me a recipe saying, "just leave out the sugar, it'll be fine without". I was intrigued as it used fresh bananas and apple sauce. I gave it a go and tweaked it a little and my non-chocolate-cake-eater-of-a-son devoured a piece, then another, and then I had to stop him. My daughter and husband loved it too, and it's been easy to make it THM (Trim Healthy Mama) friendly as well, which is a bonus.

I'm also going to share my scrumptious fructose free chocolate icing with you. I use Organic Brown Rice Syrup (this is made from fermented cooked rice and is a blend of complex carbohydrates, maltose and glucose. It's 100% fructose free) instead of icing sugar. This was inspired by the lovely Angela from The Sugar Trade during one of her workshops.

So here goes and let me warn you - this cake is good! You can also make muffins or mini muffins with this mix.

For my fellow Trim Healthy Mamas or Men, this would be a Crossover.


_________________________________________________________________________

Ingredients

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup apple sauce (no added sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup flour (or ground almonds for LCHF or THM)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup very dark chocolate chips (I chop 85% chocolate into little pieces)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Combine the bananas, apple sauce, vanilla extract and egg. 
Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix well. 
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes if making a cake, and for 15 minutes if making muffins.

_________________________________________________________________________

For the icing:


Ingredients

150g softened butter
3 tbsp organic brown rice syrup
2 tbsp cocoa

Method

Beat all three ingredients together until well combined. Spread over cake or muffins.

Enjoy! And let me know what you think of it.

Kia Kaha! Be Strong! (and don't eat the whole cake in one sitting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment